Translation and Publication Grants for Overseas Publishers
LTI Korea offers translation and publication grants to overseas publishers that have completed license agreements.
Overseas publishers that have acquired rights and are planning to publish works of Korean literature and humanities in translation(excluding children's picture books)
※ Books published before the evaluation period (i.e. the end of the following month) are not eligible.
This grant includes costs of translation and publication.
|Group||Languages||Translation Grant||Publication Grant|
|A||English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Nordic languages||100%||3.5 million KRW per title|
|B||Russian, Chinese, Turkish, and Other European languages||80% of Group A|
|C||All other languages||60% of Group A||3.0 million KRW per title|
※ The publisher must submit 30 complimentary copies (or 50 in the case of an English-language fiction title) to LTI Korea.
|Fiction, Drama, Humanities||8 million ~ 14 million KRW|
|Poetry||10 million ~ 12 million KRW|
|Children's books (excluding picture books)/ Graphic Novels||5 million KRW|
※ The amount is commensurate with the length of the book (Group A=100%).
※ However, if the original title is significantly long or short, the amount may be adjusted accordingly.
※ Funding for a series that contains two or more books is limited to one time. No additional funding will be provided.
Applications are accepted all year round.
- Grant Application FormDownload
- ※ In a case you have a separate marketing plan, please fill out and submit the application for promotion and marketing support for overseas publishers.Link
- Translator Information FormDownload
- Publication contract between the publisher and the Korean copyright holder
- Translation contract between the publisher and the translator※ Please review the application materials – including the Grant Application Form and the Translator Information Form – before applying.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted by email only (firstname.lastname@example.org).
※ The overseas publisher must sign publication and translation contracts with the copyright holder and the translator respectively, prior to applying for LTI Korea’s translation and publication grant.
※ Each publisher may only submit one application (i.e. one title) per cycle.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of experts from relevant fields.
Applications are judged on the level of interest in the chosen work in the target market, the feasibility of the publication plan, and the publisher’s reputation and credibility.
For applications received by the end of every even-numbered month, the results will be announced at the end of the following odd-numbered month (i.e., the results for applications submitted by February 28 will be announced by the end of March)
※ The selection committee meeting and the announcement of results may be delayed depending on internal circumstances.
- LTI Korea and the selected overseas publisher will sign a Memorandum of Agreement outlining the terms and conditions of the translation and publication grants.
- Once the translation is completed and the publisher submits the final manuscript to LTI Korea, the translator or the publisher will receive the translation grant in full.
- Once the book is published and complimentary copies are submitted to LTI Korea, the publisher will receive the publication grant in full.
- However, the publisher must submit proof of payment of any fees paid to the translator as per the agreement between the publisher and the translator. Should the amount of translation grant offered by LTI Korea exceed the amount specified by the aforementionedcontract,LTI Korea may pay the difference directly to the translator.
- Application documents will not be returned.
- LTI Korea does not provide translation grant for second-hand translations.
- LTI Korea may cancel the grant and take steps to recover the grant money in any of the following cases: if any information provided in the application is found to be false, if the copyright holder has not consented to the publication, if it is foundthatthe publishing contract has no legal validity, or if a significant reason for disqualification is subsequently discovered. All responsibility for any problems arising from this rests with the publisher.
- Books that have received or are set to receive translation or publication subsidies from other institutions in Korea may be excluded or receive reduced funding. The publisher is obliged to notify LTI Korea in advance of other funding sources. If itisfound that the book has received funding from other Korean institutions after receiving a grant from LTI Korea, steps such as nullifying the grant agreement and recovering the grant money maybe taken.
- Grantees that have applied after March 2019 will receive their grants in Korean Won.
- Overseas publishers that receive publication grant must specify LTI Korea’s support on the book’s copyright page.
- Overseas publishers that have received publication grant should cooperate with LTI Korea in post-publication procedures, such as reporting annual book sales.